Thursday, November 6, 2008

Every Day Anew:The 365 Paintings of 2007

   This unplanned project started with a hit on the head. In mid December 2006, I suffered a concussion which knocked me out of commission for the rest of the month. When I started painting again -- on the first day of the new year -- things went quickly, and at the end of the day the piece looked done. The next morning I began another painting, and I could see half-way through that it too would be finished in one day.
   To my surprise a new pattern had begun : a painting a day. I decided to build on it. My work Has always combined elements of structure and randomness : in my labour - intensive elaborations of patterns and systems, I follow impulses as they arise.
 So this group of paintings grew. Each piece informed the next in a kind of visual diary of the development of my thought. As I worked through January, I could see the entire year taking shape, and I knew that I could give each month its character, both in look and theme.
  

1 comment:

skipway said...

waay to go, sis. great body of work. I'm very proud of you. I hope you rocket to the top of the art world!

your loving brother,

Skip Way